Do you have a dream? Where do you start at so as to turn your dream into reality? Set SMART goals
“Goals transform a random walk into a chase.” Mihaly Csikzentmihalyl
This is my first article going live on African Woman 101 and I am really excited up to the moon because this is my dream come true. And did I just say dream? Yes, dream for I really dreamt doing this for soooo long.
As an African (ordinary) woman, I always knew (or so I thought I knew) what was expected of me: Wake up, prepare everyone for the day, run to work, toil the whole day, then come home and prepare everyone again to go to bed then be the last to rest, of course after playing my wifely roles((:.
Then one night (just after an ordinary day or maybe was it a bit more rough day?), I started tossing in bed long after everyone else was snoring away, asking myself is that all in life? Isn’t my life more than this? And that is how my dream of starting African Woman 101 blog and eMagazine was born. But then it took me a whole over three years to turn my dream into something, to allow my dream to grow. Why? Simply because I did not set SMART goals of what I wanted. I was literally sleeping on my dream in the name of waiting for the right time, in the name of I am too busy to start this, in the name of I need to do more research and all those other excuses going on in your mind (yes, you) right now.
And so if you are there tossing with your dream, you landed here purposely. In this premier article, I will take you through setting SMART goals.
Setting goals is simply designing your great future. It is living with a purpose and not merely surviving. It is simply being the best you can be and this in return not only impacts others positively but it makes you live a life of abundance. One person said, that setting goals also makes your bank account grow drastically bigger too, and I will be testifying about that one day.
SMART goals means they are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound/Trackable.
- Specific: What do I exactly want? I want to start a blog to inspire other African women
- Measurable: How will I know if I have achieved my goal? I want to have 100K visitors on my blog every month.
- Attainable: Can I really (honestly) achieve this? Yes I can. I have checked other blogs that are already succeeding in this niche, some even with over 1M visitors every month.
- Realistic: Is it really doable and practical? Yes if others have done it, why not me?
- Time: When can I achieve this? I will attain the 100K visitors by December 2019.
Below are six tips on how to set your SMART goals:
- Sit back and reflect (Imagine your great future): This simply means, use your power of imagination (and everyone has this power). Yes, think about your future, where you want to be next year, five years from now, ten years from now, twenty years from now, etc. Philosophy believes imagination is stronger than knowledge and whatever you can imagine, it is attainable. Start seeing your future in your mind. Scribble these thoughts down.
- Turn your dream into a burning desire: They say dreams are like magnets, they pull you. Now that you have imagined your great future, start believing it is achievable and create a strong desire in your heart to achieve it.
- Research: It is often said that nothing is new under the sun, and thanks to Mr/Mrs Google, nothing is really new on ‘space’ too. There is someone already living your dream life, why don’t you check them out and see their journey? Simply look around you, check Google, read a book, ask a mentor or influencer and you will be surprised how much information you can get. Take notes all through.
- Write down your goals in a SMART way: Now using the notes you have been taking, start writing your goals in a more Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-sensitive/Trackable way as already explained above.
- Get an accountability partner and talk out your goals: There is power in the tongue and speaking is believing. Remember, once you have shared with someone, you will just have to strive to attain those goals, especially if whoever you shared with doubted you.
- Afraid? Be ready to act in your fear: Powerful goals can really scare you (and you are not alone to be afraid) but do not be afraid to actualize them. Be ready to act.
Remember, defeat is not the worst of failure, but not to have tried is the true failure.
Check out my next post How to Actualize your dreams: All the best and God bless.